My whole life I've been underestimating the amazing fortitude, tenacity, and determination shown by any immigrant who's just trying to integrate into society. /Especially/ a society with a language in which he is weak and where he has a limited support network. I've lived in something like 10 apartments since I was 18 (I'm 23 now) and it has /never/ been this hard to find one. I imagine how I would respond to a request to live with me in, say, Spanish back home, where the guy says, "Lo siento, pero no comprendo mucho ingles. Espero que hablas espanol. Tienes un cuarto para mi?" I probably wouldn't respond, either. Well - that's how I'm being treated now.

Also, I just discovered that the laundry room requires some bullshit laundry card. Great. I figure, if you make something more difficult for a guest than it would be in a cheap hostel, you're doing something wrong. Tonight, I shower with my clothes. I hope I'm not allergic to laundry detergent...

(photo of me with clothes)

It seems like my bad luck always turns to good. After I washed my clothes, I heard a sort of thrumming sound, like a party in the distance. I opened my window and it sort of sounded like it came from outside, but above me. I followed the sound through the stairwell and came to a very loud door with pulsing music. Curious, I opened it into a crowd of surprised Bulgarians. Apparently the Bulgarian student association decided to throw an impromptu party... they thought I was upset, and turned down the music. It took a moment for me to explain in English that I wasn't bothered, just curious, and then they pulled me into the party and gave me drinks. Guys - you've never seen a woman dance until you've seen a Bulgarian woman dance. It's ridiculous. So... now my clothes will be wet tomorrow because I just hung them up to dry, and I think it's time for bed.